Wildflower! 2017 Songwriting Workshop Presented by Joe Crookston
Date & Time: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Location: Courtyard by Marriott (Spring Valley and US 75)
Cost: $50 per student (includes one Single Day ticket to the Wildflower! Festival)
*Limited to 30 students
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Joe Crookston, songwriter, guitarist, painter, fiddler, and slide player, will lead the 2017 Wildflower! Songwriting Workshop. Named 2016 Folk Alliance International Artist-in-Residence, Joe is a master storyteller and experienced facilitator.
Writing Songs & Lyrics That’ll Give You Goose Bumps – This workshop is for everyone who breathes! It is for anyone who writes songs or would like to learn more about the creative process. Informative & fun! This seven hour workshop will be an interactive, in-depth look at the writing process and specific ways we can develop the true power of a song. We will explore melody, phrasing, and how to distill a song down its’ most powerful place. Joe will play some of his most covered and requested songs and talk about his creative process and you will share your songs too! Participants will delve into their own unfinished ideas, deepen their ability to craft songs that connect and learn from others. Joe Crookston loves to teach and create a safe atmosphere that also challenges you to be your best. Are you just a beginner at your instrument? – No worries. This workshop is open to all to uncover our most authentic way to write songs with the skills we have. Bring an instrument, a notebook, song ideas, half written songs, and a recorder. Come ready to play, grow, learn, and make beautiful music.
Wildflower! 2017 Performing Songwriter Contest
The award-winning Wildflower! Performing Songwriter contest encourages the growth of the art of independent performing singer-songwriters. The genres include Acoustic, Americana, Bluegrass, Blues, Celtic, Country and Folk. Some of our past finalists include Ruthie Foster, Beth Wood, Karen Mal, Grace Pettis, Dave Carter, Louise Mosrie, Betty Soo, Matt Harlan, Butch Claude Morgan, RJ Cowdery, and Tom Faulkner. Contest participants perform on the Singer Songwriter Stage, located in the Bank of America Theatre within the Eisemann Center for Performing Arts.
Thank you to all singer/songwriters for entering the 2017 contest. We are no longer accepting entries. All performers who have submitted an entry, will be contacted on or before April 17, 2017 on the 10 selected finalists. Performing Songwriter Contest submissions are supported by Sonicbids.
Entrants Will Be Competing For:
- Four $500 cash awards (including one for the title of “Michael Terry People’s Choice” Award – from audience judging)
- Opportunity of a lifetime to spend a weekend sharing songs with some of the best performing songwriters in the nation
- An invitation to perform an additional set on the Festival’s Courtyard Stage and sell CDs
- Participation in a “spotlight round” with the winners on Sunday afternoon, May 21 on the Singer Songwriter Stage.
- Help with expenses
- Lodging for May 19 and 20, 2017
- Festival passes for you and a guest
- Access to the Green Room (food and drink) for the top 10 finalists
- There is a limit of 3 entries per person. (An entry is 2 songs.)
- The contest is open to males and females 18 years of age and older.
- A maximum of 300 entries will be accepted on a first submitted basis.
- The finalists must provide their own transportation to Richardson, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.
- Finalists must attend a meeting on Saturday, May 20 at approximately 9:30 am to learn the order of performances in the contest.
- Recordings submitted must be representative of the artist’s live performance. The screeners prefer recordings that use one instrument, the songwriter’s vocal and no backup harmonies; however, produced recordings are accepted. Instrumental only songs are not allowed.
- Co-written songs may be submitted; however, only one of the writers may submit an application and perform the song on the recording.
- Artist’s name, biographical information, or credits should not be included on the recordings.
- The submission of the entry certifies that the songwriter has all rights to the songs and that the songs have not been sold or contractually assigned to another entity.
- Songs that have been previously recorded and released under contract on a label are not eligible.
- Songs must have been written within the last two (2) years (after December 2014).
- Each song may not exceed five (5) minutes.
- Performances at the contest are limited to one (1) songwriter/vocalist who must perform the songs submitted in the contest. The vocalist can provide instrumentation or have a single accompanist (with no backup harmony or effects).
- Each finalist must be at Wildflower! on the day of the contest, Saturday, May 20, 2017 and be available to play a set in the round on Sunday, May 21, 2017 if selected as one of the winners.
- Prior to the contest, finalists may not appear on any stage at the Festival with any artist(s) booked for the Festival. Booked artists may not accompany a finalist during the contest.
- The finalists will be given an opportunity to perform an additional set on the Courtyard Stage at the Festival.
- Notification to the 10 finalists will be made on or before April 17, 2017.
- All previous finalists and winners are invited to submit with the exception of the 2015 winners and the 2016 finalists and winners. The 2015 winners can enter again in 2018. The 2016 non-winning finalists can enter again in 2018 and the 2016 winners can enter again in 2019.
Fair Screening Process:
- All entries are subjected to a blind and independent screening by several experienced music promoters, songwriters and educators familiar with original songwriting and performing techniques.
- The screeners come to a consensus by independent voting and select 10 of the entrants to compete at the Festival.
- The contest is a performing songwriting contest. The entries will be judged based on the quality of the songs (50%) and the artist’s presentation of the songs (50%).
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
2016 Singer Songwriter Contest Winners:
Alex Marie Brinkley