Each year, three High School Bands compete for the ultimate title of Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival Battle of the Bands Winner, taking home a generous prize package including cash and much more! A qualifier round hosting up to 7 bands took place prior to the festival at Six Springs Tavern in Richardson, TX. At the judges’ and producer’s discretion, 2 bands were selected outright to compete in the finals at the Wildflower! Festival and 2 bands were selected to compete in an online fan’s choice contest for the third and final slot at the festival. The Battle of the Band Finals were held on the Wildflower! Plaza Stage on Sunday, May 19 at 11:45 a.m. Battle of the Bands is supported by Guitars & Growlers, Williamson Music and MediaTech Institute.
2019 Battle of the Bands Contest Rules
- All band members must be between the ages of 14 and 19.
- Minimum of 3 members in each band.
- At least half of the members must be current students in grades 6-12 (3 member band = 2 current students, 4 member band = 2 current students, 5 member band = 3 current students)
- $500 Cash
- Consultation and coaching compliments of Brianna Ruelas, author of Performing Artist Pathway: Navigate the Highs and Lows On Your Music Journey
- A Saturday night or Sunday set-time at Guitars and Growlers (specific date and time to be determined by Guitars & Growlers and band)
- Individual performers at the finals will be awarded for best guitarists, bassist, drummer and vocalist, compliments of Williams Music 1ST.
- Each band will be allowed to play one 15-minute set and must play at least (1) original song.
- Each band must perform (1) cover song of a 2019 Wildflower! Arts and Music Festival headliner. Band may choose to play full cover song or at minimum a 2-minute excerpt. Bands are encouraged to interpret/adapt the cover song to their style/genre and “make it their own”.
- At the judges’ and producer’s discretion, 2-3 bands will be selected outright to compete in the finals at the Wildflower! Festival and an additional 2-3 bands may be selected to compete in an online fan’s choice contest for the third and final slot at the Festival.
- All band performances will be videotaped for possible online contest and/or for use by Wildflower! to publicize the Battle of the Bands finals.
- No foul language, or crude/offensive/vulgar behavior of any kind on stage, in lyrics, off stage, or otherwise. Absolutely no moshing and proper attire must be worn at all times.
- Band members are only allowed on stage during their set. Bands or band members who go on stage while another band is competing will be disqualified from the competition.
- No moshing and appropriate attire must be worn at all times.
- Winning bands will be determined by a panel of judges based on the following criteria:
- Musical talent as determined by our panel of judges
- Crowd noise and enthusiasm
- Showmanship of band members
- Ability to follow contest rules and perform at least one (1) original song and one (1) cover song within one 15-minute set
- Originality of cover song
- NOTE: Ticket sales or attendance by the band are not a factor in the judging of the winning bands.
Battle of the Bands is supported by: